Monday, April 23, 2018

{Review} Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Synopsis
Title: Fifty Shades of Grey
Series: Fifty Shades #1
Author: E.L. James
Pages: 514
Published: April 3rd 2012
Publisher: Vintage Books
Genre: Mature Adult/Erotica/BDSM
My Rating: 5/5
Add To: Goodreads

When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.
Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.
This book is intended for mature audiences.


My Thoughts
★★★★★ Stars

"I'm Eve in the Garden of Eden, and he's the serpent, and I cannot resist.”

**May contain spoilers** 

I want to say "why did it take me so long to read this book?!" But I can't. I know why I didn't. I got sucked into the madness of thinking what others voiced. "This is abuse!
I. Was. Wrong. and I should have never ever thought it. I should have just read it myself before saying a single thing about it. I am ashamed of myself for taking so long to read it. I'm even more ashamed that I was scared to tell anyone I was enjoying this book. 

So if I have EVER said anything negative about this book. Whether in person or on a comment, I retract whatever I said. Lol This book was amazing haunting and beautiful. 

I have had this book for a WHILE. I admit, I have been tempted to read it but always had that "abuse. abuse. abuse." chant in the back of my head. Least up until a few days ago. Looking for a book to read and literally nothing is snatching my attention. So, for the hell of it, I picked this book up and read the first page. That was all it took. There was no putting this book down. 
Even while reading it, I felt conflicted. How can I love a book so much that is so hated? Should I just keep it to myself? 

Yeahhh no. That didn't happen. The more I read the more I fell in love.... and honestly realized that all the negative "It's abuse talk" must have come from people who just watched the movie alone. (though I don't agree the movie is abuse either; sorry. Not sorry) 

I loved these characters so damn much. The banter between them had me giggling nonstop! Here, I thought Christian was this hard ass incapable of being anything but serious, again, I was wrong. Lol Their relationship is cute. Yeah, it has it's issues, but who's doesn't?!
Ana's "Oh my + others" did get repetitive; it got on my nerves at first until I realized, I do the same thing. Anyone that knows me knows "lol" is like a reflex for me. So, I can't say anything. Everyone has their "thing" so can we really judge her?

The only issue I had with Ana was that she asked and when he showed her, she panicked? had a momentary anger outburst? I don't really understand how she can react so aggressively against it when she was okay with the spanking? I don't know. I'm confused on that and really need to read the rest of the series. I have a lot more to learn. Lol

Needless to say, I loved this book. I feel like people judged it way to quickly. If you are on the fence or haven't even read it; please read it before writing it off completely. There is absolutely no abuse in this book. She was completely walked through everything bit by bit. She wasn't shoved helplessly into it. If she didn't know anything, he explained and through this WHOLE book told her she could leave at any time. To which she says she would never do anything she didn't want to. He asked her if she is okay through the whole book and she says yes. If there was something she didn't like all she had to do was tell him AND HE STOPPED INSTANTLY. I have no idea where the whole "abuse" thing came from.

2 comments :

  1. I totally agree!
    Nice to read another of your reviews, btw!!

    I had a HANGOVER when I finished the third book. I fell in love with Ana and Christian. I've bought "Grey" from his POV a while ago.. I'm so curious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm slacking so bad. I'm sorry!!

      I Know what you mean! I'm trying so hard to not get in a book slump but man this book was just so amazing!!
      I'm working on getting the rest of the series. And I can't wait to read from his POV.

      Delete

Back to Top