Wednesday, November 29, 2017

The Gnome Exchange Program: North Pole Rescue by Matt Caliri

Synopsis

Title: The Gnome Exchange Program: North Pole Rescue
Author: Matt Caliri
Pages: 261
Published: October 10th 2017
Publisher: Sweetwater Books
Genre: Young Adult/Middle Grade/Fantasy
My Rating: 4/5
Add To: Goodreads

There's only one person who can save Christmas this year, and it's not Santa Clause. This year the fate of everyone's favorite holiday rests solely in the hands of a twelve-year-old gnome named Geronimo. Luckily, Geronimo is no ordinary gnome. With his wits and daring, he should have absolutely no trouble tracking down the evil Krampus and bringing him back to the North Pole. . . 



My Thoughts
★★★★ Stars
I received this book in return for a honest review.

The problem, Dad," he said. "is that good always wins. You're going to lose this battle.


You have no idea how thankful I am that I got to read this book! 
It was so stinkin' cute! 
Okay, some of the characters really ... really ... really got on my nerves. Yet in the long run, they ended up wiggling their way into my heart. Lol

It's really no secret that I have a crazy obsession with Krampus. Weird, I know, but I do. Anyone who knows me knows I watch the movie Krampus all year around, nearly daily. 
So when I read the blurb and it mentioned "Santa's brother" I honestly thought "no way! This book looks way to cute to involve Krampus!" I was wrong. Not only was I wrong, I had such a stuck image of him in my head that when I read Matt's description, my jaw dropped and I couldn't help but chuckle and think "this is going to be awesome." Haha I was right though. It really was awesome. 

There was such a mix of characters that it will amaze you. I'm so use to books only offering 2 or 3 types of characters. But in The Gnome Exchange Program you have gnomes, elves, unicorns, invisible goats, humans, Guinea Pigs! lol so much more. 

Okay so it wasn't ALL cute. Don't get your knickers in a twist thinking it was all fluff and buttercup. Krampus is creepy as *bleep* so of course it can't be all butterbeer and pumkinjuice. Lol

This book was hard to quit. What I mean by that is I could have finished this all in a single day. But I wanted it to last as long as possible so when I could, I forced myself to put this book down. I knew if I read it all at once, I would be heartbroken in the end because it would be over so fast. Guess what! Still heartbroke. I NEED MORE! Lol


Now, I see what you're thinking. But Ash, you loved it so much yet you only gave it four stars.
why? 
Ehh yeah. Mainly because I wanted more Krampus and for him to eat everyone. 
I'm. Totally. Kidding. 
But really though, some of it felt really rushed. Around the time the Guinea pigs were introduced it got a bit blurry because there were so many and they were hard to keep up with. I still don't know who is who. :/
And it tended to jump a bit. Maybe I was reading to fast or something, that could be it. But it had some huge leaps that left me going "wait. What just happened and how did you get there aaaaand who are you again?" The ending left me with a lot of questions as well. If they went back in time to return her to a few hours after she was taken, how is it the little boy could remember how long she had been gone (I know the calendar; but wouldn't he forget why he marked those days?) and why was Krampus going to where he was going. What does he have up his tattered sleeves?

I need to know! I need more! Lol

2 comments :

  1. Right on! Right On!! I read this in manuscript form and I kept slowing up to chew on the action and get it "right" - waaaay cool "pictures" - makes you want to keep leaping in to the next chapter - but not the end... Great finish. I miss these weirdo's. can't wait for the next one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been tempted to do a reread lol I kinda miss Krampus. Hahaha

      Delete

Back to Top