Monday, January 12, 2015

When She Smiled by Ritoban Chakrabarti

Synopsis

Mrityunjoy Roy is a fifteen year old Bengali who has spent the last ten years of his life growing up in Shimla. While his family is completely academically oriented, he wants something more. Finally he meets Akanksha in school, who turns his world upside down with her gorgeous looks and mind boggling smile. As fate would have it, she joins his tuition, and thus begins the torrid year of puppy love, romance, heartbreak, tragedy, and self discovery. Set among the scenic Shivalik hills of Shimla when mobile phones and internet were non-existent, this is a story of how an average young teenager comes to terms with his destiny.


My Thoughts
★★★★★ Stars.
I received this book in return for an honest review.
While this book did have a few issues, typos/things I didn't agree with, I still think it deserves 5 stars. What I got from this story is when you think you have hit rock bottom and you think you can't go any lower, the pits of hell pretty much open up and you drop down ten more levels. But if you stick it out and get through it, you'll come out on top and you'll feel much better because you'll know you gave it your all and didn't give up.
Now about the book. There were A LOT of times I seriously wanted to throw this thing across the room. I can not tell you how bad I wanted to just waylay into Akanksha's face! Although, I must say Roy was pretty much borderline stalker there. Hate to say it, but he was. But hey, it was his first love /slash/ obsession. I mean when she first comes into the picture you think she is this really nice girl but real fast you learn she is (excuse me here) A BITCH! I mean good gah. School really tested him and showed him who his real friends were and weren't. Sucks they were such a-holes!
His teacher... oh my gosh. I'm sorry but cheating or not, you do not - I repeat - DO NOT have the right to waylay slapping the fire out of a child especially in front of the whole class! This really REALLY angered me to no ends. It wasn't even just one slap, it was multiple, both cheeks to the point of leaving marks! If I was his mother, that teacher would be out of his job because I would raise all kinds of hell to the point where he could never teach again! Ugh! Just makes me sick and furious that someone would do that to a child. Which of course by saying all of this, y'all must know I hate his father just as much. I'm glad about the ending though. The ending was amazing. It was kinda like going through the whole book tense, just waiting for something else bad to happen, then everything turns around for the good and you can finally relax. 
Good book.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top